Friday, May 29, 2009

May Helium Payout and No Stars

I finally made Helium payout (minimum is $25) and after a couple of months, I made it to $26. I was going to cash out my Helium money. However, there is a trick on Helium. You need at least one rating star. I guess I'll be spending part of the day today making sure I get that star.

Why does Helium require you to rate? I'm not really sure. I've found this to be perplexing in and of itself.

The ad revenue from Helium is very slow. With over 400 articles, you'd think that I would make payout each month of the $25. Yet, I have noticed that I don't seem to do this, particularly if I don't rate articles a LOT during the month. This could be just coincidence. The two could have nothing to do with each other. It does make you wonder though. Hmmmm.

I'll report back in next month on how it is going on Helium. I don't plan on leapfrogging or writing any new Helium articles. All my spare time is spent maintaining this blog and working on articles to post on eHow.

2 comments:

Hazel Nut said...

I have made payout twice on Helium, but it was slow going. I always keep 5 rating stars to get the $3.00 bonus and that really helps.

I like they way they give up front payments now for articles, based on the number of writing stars, that helps a lot too!

If I loose writing stars, I do leapfrog to help earn more for my upfront payment. It has also helped me to become a better writer.

First I write for eHow, then I rework the article to paragraph form for AC and then when I get around to it I look for a topic to add it on Helium.

I am not sure how much it helps to have my articles all over the place.

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to answer your question about rating, and my inbox is always open for questions: bwhitlock@helium.com.

On the vast web it is hard to get your articles noticed. In addition, the vast quantity of content can feel like a lot of muck to sort through. Helium tries to help with both those problems.

1. Articles collect under shared title groups so readers can see many perspectives. This also creates keyword density to help you get better search results.

2. Articles are sorted for quality so you know that better quality articles will rise to the top (hence the Helium balloon image).

The rating is done by peers. Some come at the topic with a high level of expertise and others are more laymen. Anyone can skip rates on topics they feel unqualified to rate about. But raters are like a microcosm of readers on the web: If you can sell them chances are you'll reach a wide group of readers on the Internet.

Creating links to your Helium articles, deep links to specific articles on websites and blogs with topics relevant to those titles is a great way to advance your learning goals.

For follow up questions or inquiries about Helium, write me: bwhitlock@helium.com.

Barbara Whitlock
New Member Outreach Manager
Helium.com
http://www.helium.com/users/13060